Where my hubby works, there’s a lot of scrap wood that gets sent to the burn pile. So, one nice carpenter named John and a batch of chocolate chip cookies later, I had some pieces of wood to use. He even cut them from two different thicknesses since he wasn’t sure which I would prefer. And he sanded the edges. See? Very nice.
I chose the thicker ones (I think they’re 1×2’s?) so that my cups and spoons would stand out from the cupboard door and hopefully bang around less.
This project definitely evolved as I went. I originally planned to just paint the pieces white to match the inside of the cupboard door. Then I got the better idea of covering them with the same fabric I used for my labels.
To avoid frayed edges, I ironed Heat’n Bond to the back of the fabric and then trimmed the pieces to size. Then I decided to use some iron-on vinyl on the front to make them wipeable. Yes, that is the order in which I did it, and no, I do not recommend following my example! (Either way, remember that you have a coating on each side and be extra careful to use the backing paper that comes with them.)
Did you know that Heat’n Bond can be used on wood? Neither did I at the time, but that didn’t stop me from trying it! A layer of thick backing and few quick passes with my iron, and the fabric was nice and adhered with no need for glue.
Next, I lined up my cups and spoons to figure spacing. I actually drew a diagram on paper and did the math and made notes exactly where to put the hooks. (I’m kind of particular that way. If you don’t care about such things, eyeball it and save yourself a bunch of time!)
After screwing in the cup hooks, it was time to get them ready to hang. The inside of our cupboard doors is completely flat. Since I really didn’t want to put holes in the door if I didn’t need to, I decided to use Command Picture Hanging Strips. First I paired them up and applied them to the back of the wood.
(Note: The next two photos show only one strip on each end, but I redid them with two on each end–one toward the top and one toward the bottom–so that there would be no “rocking.” I highly recommend this to ensure that the pieces are nice and flat against the door.)
After figuring out where to place them so that they and the utensils would clear the shelves, I removed the backing, used a level to make sure the pieces were straight, pressed them against the door, and then peeled away the wood. Once you do this, be sure to press firmly along the length of the strips that are left behind to help with adhesion.
Using the level again, I lined up the pieces with the strips on the cupboard and pressed them together. Then up went the cups and spoons. (green: Kitchen Aid, stainless: Ecko)
I love it! And my plan to use the thicker pieces to minimize the noise was actually pretty effective. No more digging around for spoons or tipping of stacked cups. They even get hand-washed right after I use them since I’m motivated to have no empty hooks. ;)
Caden and I just finished baking a second round of cookies for John. Soon I’ll show you what he cut to earn that thank-you batch!